Ricoh has announced it will release a new wide-aperture portrait lens for its full-frame cameras late this year, and that it will use the company’s Supersonic Direct-drive Motor to power the focusing system. The HD Pentax -D FA* 85mm F1.4 SDM AW with join the existing HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW and HD PENTAX-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8ED DC AW in a line-up of three models in the FA* range. Like the DA* lenses designed for APS-C cameras, these FA* models are intended to be premium quality and to represent a step-up from the standard lens series.
Pentax says that the new portrait lens uses three Super ED lenses to suppress chromatic errors while boosting contrast, and a single aspherical element to retain high resolution and focus across the frame. The aperture will be made from nine blades and the closest focusing distance will be 2.8ft. Although designed for the full-frame K-1 cameras, the KAF4 lens will also work on the company’s APS-C sensor cameras – due to the smaller sensor area it will offer the view that a 130mm focal length would on a full-frame model.
Pentax has yet to release the pricing of this new lens, but to give you an idea, the 50mm F1.4 FA* lens costs $1100/£1050 compared to $350/£400 for the standard SMC FA version.
For more information see the Pentax website.
Development of the new-generation D FA* high-performance single focus lens for digital SLR cameras
HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mmF1.4 SDM AW
RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING EUROPE, SAS. are pleased to announce the development of the new-generation high-performance Star-series lens, the HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mmF1.4 SDM AW.
This product is the second “new generation D FA*” single focus lens following the “HD PENTAX-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW” which we presented as the first lens with a fixed focal length of the “New Generation D FA*”. This series is known for the perfect image quality and the lenses are characterized by the following parameters:
- Best possible image quality with uniform sharpness from the center to the edges of the image.
- Large aperture with a particularly expressive image effect.
- High quality workmanship and materials with high robustness and easy handling
The D FA* 50mm quickly became one of the most popular lenses for the PENTAX 35mm system. Therefore many PENTAX photographers have demanded for an extension of this range of prime lenses. We are therefore pleased to announce the development of another lens in this series of high-performance lenses. With the HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mmF1.4 SDM AW, we follow the conquest of particularly high image quality without compromise.
Overview of the product under development
Model name: HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mmF1.4 SDM AW
Launch date: Scheduled to be launched in late, 2020
- By incorporating three Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass optical elements, it effectively compensates chromatic aberrations and produces brilliant, high-contrast images even from open aperture.
- Adopts one aspherical lens and achieves high delineation performance with good correction of spherical aberration, coma and field curvature.
- High speed and smooth operation with newly developed SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) equipped with high torque ring type ultrasonic motor
- Developing as an AW (All Weather model) this lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant structure to prevent the intrusion of water and dust into the lens interior.
HD PENTAX-D FA* 85mm F1.4ED SDM AW
|Angle of View||28.5 degrees|
|Min Focus Distance||0.85m (2.8ft)|