Sony has teased its video-focused customers with news of an upcoming announcement: it will soon take the wraps off a new CineAlta motion picture camera, one sporting a 36x24mm sensor. There’s still a bunch details forthcoming, but thus far Sony has revealed that the new CineAlta model will be capable of multiple aspect ratios and will be compatible with many existing CineAlta accessories.
Sony has only revealed a handful of details about the camera at this time (below), explaining that it is developing the model ‘through careful research and close collaboration with creative professionals.’ The company doesn’t state when the camera will be available, nor when the full announcement will be made.
Technology highlights and key benefits:
- Full Frame 36x24mm sensor exclusively designed for this Digital Motion Picture Camera
- Aspect ratio-agnostic – including Full Frame, Super35 4K 4-perf 4:3 Anamorphic and 4K spherical 3-perf 17:9
- New image sensor enabling exceptional picture quality
- Maintains the workflow established with Sony’s 16bit RAW/X-OCN and XAVC
- Compatible with current and upcoming hardware accessories for CineAlta cameras (DVF-EL200 Full HD OLED Viewfinder, AXS-R7 recorder, AXS-CR1 and AR1 card reader, AXS and SxS memory cards).